Establishing new initiatives
Foundational facilitator for Environment Canterbury to operationalise the Canterbury Water Management Strategy – an innovative approach to finding pathways to deliver community aspirations for water management. (2011-17). I co-designed and implemented appointment processes (under the Local Government Act), facilitated the formation and work of functional collaborative groups, worked closely with governance in regional and district councils, built relationships with diverse interests across the region, and provided leadership and coaching to committee and team members
Member of team to prepare IRD Guide for the R&D Tax credit to reduce risks to government and taxpayers of ineligible claims. Provided facilitation of networking with research and business communities in addition to technical science and analytical input. (2008-10)
Led design, implementation and management of a future-watch capability for MORST on emerging issues in science. (2005-08)
Brokering partnerships and agreements
Designed and facilitated work programme of regional and zone committees in the Canterbury Water Management Strategy. Built relationships and understanding across sectors and districts, leading to diverse interests able to reach agreement on pathways to deliver on community-agreed outcomes for water management.
Design and facilitation of workshops and public meetings
Recent work includes:
- design and facilitation of workshops for the Southland Regional Forum, a collaboration between the Southland Regional Council and Te Ao Marama Inc
- design and facilitation of workshops for Environment Canterbury to; develop new ‘targets’ for the Canterbury Water Management Strategy; support regional workshops with Territorial Authorities around both Climate Change and Emergency Management; inform Environment Canterbury’s Science Strategy review
- design and lead workshops for Christchurch City Council on their Natural Heritage Strategy
- facilitation of meetings between Avon-Otakaro network and Regenerate Christchurch
- multiple workshops with regional and zone (Ashburton, Orari-Temuka-Opihi-Pareora) water management committees, and associated community meetings to explain and explore options for managing local waterways.
Analysis for Ngai Tahu of conservation arrangements in Treaty settlements.
Central Government work has included:
- Member of team to prepare IRD Guide for the R&D Tax credit to reduce risks to government and taxpayers of ineligible claims
- Senior analyst for Bioethics Council, established following the Royal Commission on Genetic Modification
- Senior analyst with Health Funding Authority the Ministry of Health. Work included review of national policy, work on emerging technologies, and secretariat support and management for a National Advisory Committee
Team leader: Facilitators Canterbury Water Management Strategy. Led team of eight implementing an innovative approach to water management.